Spring is here! Spring is one of the prime times for auto maintenance. That first wash-n-wax on a warm Saturday afternoon is liberating. Winter’s gloom (to say nothing of grit and road salt) is literally washed away. Take the snow shovel, the gloves, and heavy boots and store them ’til next season. It’s time to get out the Grill and open up the patio because summer can’t be that far away.
Some preparation now will help ensure that your summer driving plans go as smoothly as you envision then now. Here are some tips on getting your vehicle ready for summer.
– Read the owner’s manual and follow the recommended service schedules.
– Have your battery checked to make sure its in good condition.
– Have hard starts, rough idling, stalling, etc. corrected before hot weather sets in.
– Check the cooling system (radiator) according to the service manual’s recommendations. Make sure the level, condition, and concentration of the coolant to make sure it’s in shape for those hot days ahead.
– If you are not a do-it-your self person, look for repair facilities that employ certified automotive technicians.
– The tightness and condition of belts, clamps, and hoses should be checked by a qualified auto technician.
– Have a marginally operating air conditioner system serviced by a qualified technician to reduce the likelihood of more costly repairs.
– Change the oil and oil filter as specified in owner’s manual. (Properly dispose of used oil.)
– Replace other filters (air, fuel, PCV, etc.) as recommended.
– Check the condition of tires, including the spare. Always check tire pressure when the tires are cold.
– Inspect all lights and bulbs; replace burned out bulbs.
– Replace worn wiper blades and keep plenty of washer solvent on hand to combat summer’s dust and insects.
Staying of top of your cars repairs & maintenance is the best way to make sure you enjoy your road trips and not sitting on the side of the road.
Have a safe and Happy spring.